It’s quite wonderful to be entering nursing school. However, you’ll need the appropriate gear before starting your first day. That includes a fantastic, well-rounded laptop, among other things.
You’ll be expected to move lectures, take notes, complete projects, and conduct research as a nursing student.
The following laptops on this list can help you accomplish those things with ease.
We compared more than 20 laptops and discovered three that met our criteria in five areas: storage, operating system, battery life, RAM, and portability.
- If you’re on a budget and just need a laptop for basic activities, the Acer Chromebook 15 is an excellent choice.
- The 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air is a great option for individuals seeking high performance and extended battery life.
- If you’re searching for a laptop with a fantastic display in the Chrome OS category, the Acer Chromebook with a 14 “IPS FHD display” is an excellent option.
Who is eligible for this?
When you start nursing school, you’ll face a long to-do list that will try your patience. A dependable laptop is the greatest method to keep up with everything on your plate. It will allow you to tackle even the most difficult exams and keep all of your paperwork in one spot.
The various models in this guide are relevant to everyone who wants to be a nurse. However, if you’re searching for high-end laptops that can handle intensive activities like color classification or gaming, this article isn’t for you.
Best Laptops for Nursing Students in 2022 – what is the minimum laptop needed to begin nursing school?
You should think about the following characteristics before buying a laptop for school as a nursing student:
When your laptop dies in the middle of writing an article, it’s quite inconvenient. The easiest solution to that issue is to invest in a computer with a strong battery. Every computer is different, but you want one that can stay off for at least six hours.
SSD or hard drive? SSD is faster, more durable, and more energy-efficient than HDD (hard disk drive). SSDs, on the other hand, are more expensive. As a result, you should choose at least 128GB since this provides an excellent balance between performance and price.
RAM is a type of computer memory that allows you to multitask and run numerous programs simultaneously. You’ll need at least 4GB of RAM on your laptop, but if your budget allows, you might want to go higher.
You may pick from Apple’s (Mac OS), Google’s (Chrome OS), or Microsoft’s (Windows OS) operating systems, depending on your preferences. Whatever you pick, be sure it is compatible with what your institution accepts and what you can afford.
A processor is a tiny computer that can help you complete various chores on your laptop. If you’re on a budget, the Intel Core i3 is a good option for you as a nursing student. However, if you have more flexibility, an Intel Core i5 or high-end i7 may be more appropriate.
Laptops come in a range of shapes, weights, and sizes. Always opt for lighter alternatives that are easy to carry or transport from place to place on campus.
Our Top Picks for the Best Laptops for Nursing Students in 2022
Acer Chromebook 315 15.6-inch FHD Laptop Computer (Best Laptops for Nursing Students in 2022)
The Acer Chromebook 15 is an excellent choice for nursing students on a budget. While it doesn’t have all of the features, it does have a robust plastic frame that stands up well. The model includes a 15.6-inch IPS display with good viewing angles. Storage capacity totals to 32GB eMMC + 32GB SD Card, which should enough for any nursing student.
The Intel Celeron N4000 processor (2 cores, 4M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz) is a good choice for this laptop. This PC includes dual-band 802.11 ac wireless technology as well. The speakers are excellent for taking notes during lectures, and it has a battery life of five to six hours. Despite weighing in at 4.8 pounds, the model offers plenty of ports. 1 USB 3.0, an SD card reader, HDMI, and USB 2.
- Decent viewing angles
- Decent performance
- Battery life of five to six hours
- It’s not portable
The Apple MacBook Air 13.3-inch (Best Laptops for Nursing Students in 2022)
For any nursing student on a strict budget, the 13.3-inch MacBook Air is an excellent choice. It has a stylish look and features a high-definition display with a resolution of 1440 × 900 pixels. Battery life and performance, on the other hand, set it apart. The Intel Core i5 with 8GB LPDDR3 RAM performs admirably even without the latest processor.
The Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB SSD ensure fast performance. The e-paper display keeps the screen clean, with no fingerprint or smudge marks to worry about. You may pick from two storage options: 256GB or 128GB SSD. In addition, the battery lasts for 14 hours and weighs just 3 pounds. Because of this combination, it is simple to transport around campus.
- Good battery life
- Great CPU performance
- Two storage devices
- The screen could be better
Acer Chromebook with 14 ″ IPS FHD screen (Best Laptops for Nursing Students in 2022)
The Acer 14 “FHD is another Chrome OS-powered laptop on our list. In addition to the fact that this laptop is one of the most affordable laptops for nursing students, it comes in a beautiful bright silver color. Due to the 1920 x 1080 14 “FHD IPS backlit display resolutions, it looks crystal clear. The model also lets you utilize your school hours effectively due to its 12-hour battery life.
With a portable machine weighing 3.42 pounds, you can go anywhere you want. It’s powered by an Intel Celeron processor with 4GB of RAM and runs quickly because of the 1.6Ghz speed. The device’s 32GB capacity will provide excellent performance if you don’t use a lot of programs. There are also 1 HDMI and 2 USB 3.0 connections for simple data transmission.
- Comes with a wireless mouse
- Good battery life
- Impressive display screen
- Its 4GB can be slow
It is important to know how to safeguard your laptop.
Here are nine suggestions to keep your laptop safe while you’re in nursing school:
- Laptops should not be placed near machines that generate a strong magnetic field, such as high-tech refrigerators, televisions, and loudspeakers.
- It is better not to touch the screen with a writing instrument or one that may scratch the screen.
- When not in use, close the lid of your device to limit the amount of dust that accrues on the keyboard.
- Always take your laptop outside and bring it in before using it if it’s freezing outside.
- Remove any USB thumb drives from your laptop before heading out. If you’re on the go, make sure to turn off your laptop and remove any removable storage devices before heading out.
- To safeguard your computer from being pushed and dropped, get a sturdy laptop bag.
- Setting simple passwords that anybody can guess is a bad idea.
- Take precautions against using your laptop in humid places such as the kitchen counter, the beach, or the bathtub.
- If you’re going on vacation, make sure you have a VPN subscription so that you can avoid potential cybercriminals.
After reading through the many options and considering all of the factors, hopefully, you’ll be able to make an informed decision. The most important thing is that you select a laptop for nursing students that fits your specific needs and budget.